Touring a daycare?
Top questions to ask
Word of mouth recommendations
To get the most insight from word of mouth recommendations, ask the person to rate the school along the following parameters, on a 1-10 scale:
- Care quality
- Curriculum quality
- Drop-off & pick-up
- Does the facility look clean? Does it smell clean? How loud is it inside?
- Are the restrooms clean and sanitary?
- Are the classrooms free of clutter and neatly organized?
- How many kids will be in my child’s classroom?
- What is the teacher:child ratio for my child’s age group?
- What toys and learning materials will my child have access to?
Communication w. parents
- Do parents receive photo updates during the day?
- Are day sheets provided in a written or electronic format? If electronic, which app is used?
Drop-off & Pick-up
- What time is drop-off and pick-up?
- What are the drop-off and pick-up procedures?
- What time is early drop-off and late pick-up? What is the fee for this service?
- What will be my child’s daily schedule (play time, learning, eating, resting)?
- When during the day will my child be taken outside? For how long?
- On which days during the school year will the facility be closed?
- How many parent / teacher conferences are scheduled per school year?
- Does the school offer a meal plan? Which meals are included? How much is the plan?
- How does the school manage children with food allergies or dietary restrictions?
Management / staff
- How long has the facility director been with the school?
- Over the past 5 years, how many facility directors has the school employed?
- Over the previous 2 years, what percentage of the staff has turned over?
Safety & Security
- What percentage of caregivers have first aid certifications?
- Which of the following background checks are administered prior to employment: criminal history, fingerprints, child abuse and neglect registry, sex offender registry
- What is the school’s current enrollment?
- What is the school’s licensed enrollment capacity?
- What age groups is the facility licensed to serve (min age / max age)?
- Are part-time enrollment options available?
- Is there currently a waitlist? If yes, when is the next opening for my child’s age-group?
- How much advance notice does the school require to terminate enrollment?
Don’t forget to grab ...
- Enrollment Application, along with any other registration forms
- Tuition & Fees Schedule, showing all service-related expenses
- Parent Handbook, detailing center’s policies & procedures
- Child Day Sheet, showing which activities are tracked throughout the day
- Menu, with description of meals served
Last but not least...
- Does the facility host a Parent Day Out?
- Is the service open to prospective families?